WEEK 13 - WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW


WEEK 13

 ALAN MOORE - WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW

1) What is your reaction to the text you just read?
I was surprised to find I really enjoyed this read. The story was compelling and original, and even though I didn't know what was going on at most parts I understood enough and cared enough to continue with interest. I was curious how the story would end despite the prologue already stating the end. It was also interesting thinking about how it actually ended and the  open ended 'twist'. I never read any other Superman comics but I have seen a few movies in the past. From what I've seen I never particularly liked him as a hero, but funnily enough after reading this comic I actually liked him more. It was interesting how he was so strict with his moral code despite all the issues he faces. In the world he lived in A man who was perfect in every way cannot exist, so 'superman' had to die. That doesn't mean however that the man behind the hero can't continue living. 

2) What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect?
I made a lot of connections while reading this. There is an obvious connection with the common hero tropes throughout other comics but to me, someone who hasn't read many of those, I connected it to a metaphorical meaning. As a hero Superman is kind of like Jesus. He is all powerful and all righteous which gives him a lot of pressure. He cannot survive in this world however so in the end the God of a man must die. He doesn't really die however, like an idea he can always come back when it's convenient. I also find it interesting how the 'inevitable future' comes into play. At the beginning of the story we see that Superman died and throughout the end Superman acknowledged that he must die for the people of the 30th century. I see that again with Jesus Christ and how he knew he was born to die on the cross. There will still be however, people who follow him and honor his legacy.

3) What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
If I could see this story played out again i would definitely enjoy it as a feature length film. Obviously, it would have to be stripped away and reconstructed to be told in a simpler way and to people who have never heard of Superman before. it would be interesting to see a movie where the hero is already established and dead and the story is told through one of his friends in a series of flashbacks. With an interesting cinematic construction I believe one could enjoy this story with a lot more suspense and surprise. It would also be interesting to use a hero that is not superman. Possibly a different hero because Superman had been done before.

Comments

Popular Posts