WEEK EIGHT - ETHICS AND REPRESENTATION

WEEK 8 - ETHICS AND REPRESENTATION


I wanted to represent a minority I am apart of with an experience I have encountered and i'm sure many black women can relate. of course there different people within the black community who would not react silently to someone touching them as if they were a dog but I wanted to show a reaction that kind of metaphorically mirrors the black Americans journey through history in America. peaceful defiance and pride in oneself is more important than fighting back with violence or anger. I think in this comic, the characters silence is her strength, she is not worried about what others think of her and her hair. She knows who she is and her worth, and as a child I wish I had that conviction. Hopefully this comic helps translate these feelings to someone who had not experienced this. I wanted some panels to really show the feeling of violation and dehumanization goes into someone just flinging their fingers into your personal space and fondling your curls without permission. I also wanted to emphasize the characters feeling of not belonging, or feeling like a fish out of water. 

Comments

Popular Posts